Login NowClose 
Sign In to thecouriertimes.com           
Forgot Password
or if you have not registered since 8/22/18
Click Here to Create an Account

Spiceland man dead, reportedly shot at deputies

Henry County Sheriff’s deputies reportedly exchanged gunfire Wednesday with 77 year old Leslie Odier of Spiceland. Odier was found dead in his home around 11 p.m.

- Courier-Times Staff Report

SPICELAND—A 77-year old Spiceland man was found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound inside his home Wednesday night. His death followed a standoff with Henry County Sheriff's deputies that reportedly included gunfire.

According to the Indiana State Police, Henry County deputies responded to a home in the 2200 block of CR 700 South, just east of the town of Spiceland, around 7 p.m. Wednesday for "a domestic situation."

Deputies reported that as they arrived, a man later identified as Leslie Odier exited the home armed with handguns, fired shots then went back inside. Henry County SWAT was called to the home to assist the deputies.

State police said Odier's wife was able to leave the home before Henry County officers arrived.

At some point in the evening, Odier reportedly exited the home again, pointing and firing a handgun at deputies, who returned fire.

According to ISP, Odier fled back into the home and a short time later, officers reportedly heard a single gunshot inside the home.

Indiana State Police SWAT and negotiators were sent to the scene. After numerous failed attempts to contact Odier, Indiana State Police SWAT made entry into the home around 11 p.m. and reported finding found Odier deceased.

At that time, the Henry County Sheriff’s Department asked the Indiana State Police Pendleton District to take over the investigation.

Henry County Coroner Steve Hacker completed Odier's autopsy Thursday afternoon. Hacker determined Odier died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Henry County Sheriff Ric McCorkle verified Thursday morning there were no other injuries during the shooting.

"All of our people are okay," McCorkle said.

Indiana State Police were continuing to investigate the incident as of Thursday.