The New Castle Board of Public Works and Safety has approved plans for the city’s 2021 Homecoming parade.

Homecoming Chairman Richard Bouslog attended Monday’s board of works meeting to make the request.

“Homecoming started in 1960 under Mayor Walter Falck and since then we’ve had a homecoming every five years, but since 2005 every four years,” Bouslog said. “One of the highlights of Homecoming is the parade, which will start on Vine Street and the parade will end at the New Castle Fieldhouse parking lot.”

The date of the parade will be on Saturday, Sept. 11. The parade will start heading toward the Field House at 10 a.m. Set up will start at 8:30 a.m.

“This year we are hoping for a little bit bigger of a parade, we are trying to get the little kids involved or the future alumni of New Castle High School,” Bouslog continued. “It’s going to be big, and it’s also going to be an awesome weekend. This is a big event for New Castle.”

Bouslog said the New Castle homecoming football game will start at 1 p.m. when the Trojans will take on the Shelbyville Golden Bears.

The Homecoming celebration will continue on the Fieldhouse concourse from 1-5 p.m. with a “Gathering of the Decades.” Bouslog explained they would split the gym up into sections of each different decade that people graduated from New Castle High School.

Mayor Greg York wants to see the parade happen but directed Bouslog to the Henry County Health Department first.

“I want to have this parade, we are going to approve this parade, but we have to divert you to the health department with that,” the mayor said. “I’m excited for this so I’ll make the motion that we approve this pending on you getting in contact with the health department and see what their rules, guidelines, and regulations are.”

The motion was approved 3-0.

The Board of Works also accepted the Public Transportation Agency Safety Plan.

Transportation General Manager Doug Sloan said, “It’s basically a safety plan for all day to day operations, and all safety regulations. This is something INDOT has already approved. I’m just waiting on the Board of Works to approve it.”

“Thanks Doug, I appreciate all the work that you do, and all the work you put into this,” York said.

York made the motion to accept the Public Transportation Safety Plan, and the motion was passed 3-0.

The Board of Public Works and Safety will meet again in two weeks at 10 a.m. May 17 in council chambers, 227 N. Main Street.